XSUX1002 Everyday Finnish (5 cr)
The aim of the course is for students to achieve strong basic language skills, learn how to cope in everyday situations, and develop their understanding of texts and ability to search for information in Finnish.
The course’s 70 contact hours are used to teach Finnish with the help of various tasks/exercises, which are done in groups, pairs, and independently. Some project work is also done on the course. Different language skill areas will be practiced on the course: speaking, listening and reading comprehension, and writing. Grammar and vocabulary studies are integrated with the work on these skills. The exercises and texts used on the course are grounded in real-life situations. In addition to the class exercises, homework assignments are an important part of the course. The support language for the course is English.
On completion of the course, the students are expected to
- know how to act in informal, familiar daily situations, for example, when running errands
- understand predictable information in texts and speech related to a concrete topic
- be able to tell about their past and future life, ask and express opinions, and write informal messages related to their daily life
- know and be able to utilise different language usage and learning strategies that support language production, understanding and interaction in different daily contexts
STATUS: Basic course
TARGET GROUP: Students who have already completed "My Finnish" or have equivalent studies.
Description of prerequisites
Suomi 1 or equivalent studies
PROFICIENCY LEVEL: A1
- Prerequisite group 1
- Prerequisite group 2
- XSU0005 Finnish for Foreigners 1 (5 cr)Not published for this curriculum period