XENX003 Communication Skills (3 cr)
Centre for Multilingual Academic Communication
2020-2021, 2021-2022, 2022-2023, 2023-2024
Students will enhance their oral communication skills in academic and professional situations relating to their own field and future profession. Students will become familiar with the conventions and cultural considerations associated with spoken production and interaction. In addition students will continue to develop communication confidence and team working skills.
General and small group discussions, field-specific presentations, problem-solving tasks.
After completion of the course students are expected to:
- communicate orally, with confidence, in formal and informal situations in an academic and workplace context,
- prepare and deliver a professional presentation that follows internationally accepted norms.
- recognize, understand and adjust to intercultural or interdisciplinary differences in communication,
- work purposefully in groups, negotiating and building on the contributions of others to complete tasks,
- present information and argue clearly and academically to others,
- access and apply repertoire tools and competencies for field-specific vocabulary
- be familiar with and use various resources to facilitate and support the above.
Course is organized by JYU Open University.
Proficiency level B2-C1.
Description of prerequisites
Lukion kielitaito tai vastaavat taidot englannissa.
- Prerequisite group 1
These completion methods are for University of Jyväskylä degree students. Other options:
Continuous assessment based on active participation in group setting and successful completion of assignments, and preparation and delivery of a field-specific presentation. Self-, peer- and teacher assessment.
Select all marked parts
Parts of the completion methods
Teaching (3 cr)
Participation in teaching
No published teaching