TILP2400 Data visualization and analysis (5 cr)
This course will cover different topics related to every step of a statistical study
from collecting data to statistical modeling. The course will cover the following themes:
1. Statistical studies and data collection
2. Reducing data into a table
3. Data visualization
4. Summary statistics and inference
5. Scatter plot, correlation and dependence
6. Statistical modeling.
The course focuses on understanding statistical methods through simple applications. We use statistical R software for illustrating the methods.
After completing the course succesfully, the student
- understands the importance of statistical methods in work life
- understand the steps of a statistical study and know different concepts
related to data collection, different types of data and variables
- can use tables, charts, and statistics to describe data and the relationships
- know the basic concept of statistical inference
- understand the basics of statistical modeling
- is familiar with R software
Description of prerequisites
Good knowledge of basic math operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication,
and division, square root, powers). Basic R skills or willingness to learn R.
- Course handout and related slides
- Moodle exercises
- R practicals and solutions for them for self-evaluating the exercises