HISA1003 Pedagogy of History (5 cr)
On completion of the studies students will
- understand the definitions and constructs of historical thinking
- be cognisant of the research base underlying the teaching of history and of research on the pedagogy of history
- familiarised themselves with some specific issue pertaining to the teaching of history
On completion of the studies through contact teaching students will also have
- acquired experience of groupwork and improved their interactive skills
- enhanced their oral interactive skills and negotiation skills
- acquired skills for operating in new situations
On completion of the studies through examinations on set books students will also have
- enhanced their problem-solving skills
- improved their written skills and argumentation skills
- acquired skills in the analysis of information and the ability to comprehend extensive entities
On completion of the studies by writing essays students will morever have
- learned more about information seeking and writing scientific text
- enhanced their written communication and argumentation skills
- acquired experience of project skills by planning their own actions and use of time
Active participation in teaching and written assignments or lecture exam. Completion by independent study – essay or book exam. Active participation in the study group and written assignments.
To complete the studies using set books students will select works from the following list in such a way as to acquire 5 points. Choice of books for essays to be agreed in advance with the teacher in charge.
- Barton, Keith C. & Levstik, Linda, Teaching History for the Common Good (2013) (2op)
- Davies, Ian, Debates in History Teaching (2010/2017) (2op)
- Seixas, Peter & Morton, Tom, The Big Six Historical Thinking Concepts (2013) (2op)
- Veijola, Anna, Pedagogisen ajattelun kehittyminen aineenopettajankoulutuksessa: tutkimus suoravalituista historian opettajaopiskelijoista (2013) (2op)
- Wineburg, Sam, Historical Thinking and Other Unnatural Acts (2001) (2op)
- Ajan merkit: Historian käyttö ja opetus. Jukka Rantala, Sirkka Ahonen (2015) (1op)
- Lähteillä: Historian taitoja oppitunneille. Anna Veijola, Simo Mikkonen (2019) (1op)
Participation in teaching (5 cr)
Independent study: essay (5 cr)
Independent study: examination (5 cr)
Voit tehdä tentin eTenttinä.
Independent study (5 cr)
Katso tarkat suoritusohjeet Historian ja etnologian laitoksen verkkosivuilta ja sovi suorituksesta etukäteen tentaattorin kanssa.