BENA2020 Ecology (3 cr)
Essential principles and theories of ecology and their integration at individual, population, community and ecosystem level.
After completing this course, the student should be able to
· define basic ecological concepts
· understand basic ecological principles and theories
· explain how ecological factors affect individuals, populations, communities, and ecosystems
· assess the reliability of ecological knowledge
· recognize the need to be familiar with ecological theories for understanding the ecological problems of human activities.
Description of prerequisites
· Biology major students: BENA1004 or BIOP304
· Secondary students: Biology basic studies (25 credits)
- Cain ML, Bowman WD & Hacker SD: Ecology. Sinauer Associates, Inc. or
- Singer FD: Ecology in Action. Cambridge Univ. Press or
- some other Ecology textbook or study material.
Teaching (3 cr)
Lectures, demonstrations and examination