KEMP1140 Basics in Organic Chemistry (6 cr)
Structure, bonding and drawing of organic compounds. Stereochemistry. Conjugation, resonance and aromacity. Naming of simple organic compounds and typical physical and chemical properties of following compound groups: Alkanes, alkenes, alkynes, aromatic hydrocarbons, alkyl halides, alcohols, ethers, epoxides and carboxylic acids.
After passing this course student
- is able to name, draw and identify organic compounds
- knows stereochemistry and isomerism of organic compounds
- identifies functional groups and their primary reactions
- is able to evaluate physical and chemical properties of organic compounds and make plans for simple organic reactions.
Working life skills
- Scheduling, time management
- The basics of scientific thinking
- Trained in using a science book written in English.
Description of prerequisites
Recommended KEMP1110 The World of Molecules (or KEMP111 Basics in Chemistry 1) or equivalent knowledge.
- Prerequisite group 1
- J.G. Smith: Organic Chemistry, edition 4 (or newer): chapters 1-12, 16, 17, 19.
Participation in teaching (6 cr)
Luentoja ja harjoituksia.
Exam (6 cr)
If you want to take exam in English, please contact the teacher.