KEMP1120 Chemical Equilibrium and Energy (5 cr)
- Liquid phase chemistry: solubility, colligative properties
- Reaction kinetics, chemical equilibrium
- Acids and bases, pH, buffer solutions
- Thermochemistry and thermodynamics: enthalpy, entropy, and Gibbs energy
- Electrochemisty: electrochemical cells, normal potentials and cell potentials, electrolysis
A student who has passed the course:
- Knows the concept of solubility and the factors affecting solubility, and knows how to calculate the solubilities of substances
- Can explain how the colligative properties affect melting and boiling points of substances
- Knows how the rate of a chemical reaction can be changed; can determine the reaction order from experimental results
- Knows how the chemical equilibrium can be changed; can determine the equilibrium constants and equilibrium concentrations
- Knows the concept of acid-base reactions and related phenomena; can interpret acid-base titration curves
- Knows the basics of thermochemistry and calorimetry
- Can represent the state of a chemical system using thermodynamical functions
- Knows the principles of an electrochemical cell; can represent it in the language of chemistry
Working life skills:
- Data processing by computer technology
- Trained in using a science book written in English
Description of prerequisites
Recommended KEMP1110 The World of Molecules (or KEMP111 Basics in Chemistry 1 or equivalent) and mathematical proficiency at upper secondary school or higher.
- Prerequisite group 1
- Tro, Nivaldo J.: Chemistry - A Molecular Approach, Pearson Education,
- Ch. 7, 14-20 (5th Ed.) or
- Ch. 6, 13-19 (4th Ed.) or
- Ch. 6, 12-18 (1st–3rd Eds.).
Participation in teaching (5 cr)
Luentoja ja harjoituksia.
Exam (5 cr)
If you want to take exam in English, please contact the teacher.