HISA1004 History of International Relations (5 cr)
Students will be introduced in these studies to international relations and the international system in the historical long term with special reference to the 1900s.
On completion of the studies students will
- be familiar with the main tenets of international relations and the international system in the long term
- have delved more deeply into the historical development of international relations and the international system from the 1900s onwards
- comprehend the geographical, economic and cultural dimensions of international relations
- be aware of the opportunities afforded and challenges posed by methods in the historical research of international relations
On completion of the studies through contact teaching students will also have
- acquired experience of groupwork and improved their interactive skills
- enhanced their oral interactive skills and negotiation skills
- acquired skills for operating in new situations
On completion of the studies through examinations on set books students will also have
- enhanced their problem-solving skills
- improved their written skills and argumentation skills
- acquired skills in the analysis of information and the ability to comprehend extensive entities
On completion of the studies by writing essays students will morever have
- learned more about information seeking and writing scientific text
- enhanced their written communication and argumentation skills
- acquired experience of project skills by planning their own actions and use of time
Active participation in teaching and written assignments or lecture exam. Completion by independent study – essay or book exam. Active participation in the study group and written assignments.
To complete the studies using set books students will select works from the following list in such a way as to acquire 5 points. Choice of books for essays to be agreed in advance with the teacher in charge.
- Anthony Best, Jussi M. Hanhimäki, Joseph A. Majolo & Kirsten E. Schulze, International History of the Twentieth Century and Beyond (3rd revised edition, 2014) (3 op)
- Paul Kennedy, The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers: Economic Change and Military Conflict from 1500-2000 (2017) (3 op)
- Mikkonen, S. & Koivunen, P. Beyond the Divide. Entangled Histories of Cold War Europe (2015) (2op)
- Glenda Sluga & Patricia Clavin (toim.), Internationalisms: A Twentieth Century History (2017) (2 op)
- Marc Trachtenberg, The Craft of International History: A Guide to Method (2006) (2 op)
Participation in teaching (5 cr)
Independent study: essay (5 cr)
Independent study: examination (5 cr)
Independent study (5 cr)
Katso tarkat suoritusohjeet Historian ja etnologian laitoksen verkkosivuilta ja sovi suorituksesta etukäteen tentaattorin kanssa.