ERIS303 Disability Studies and Education (5 cr)
Accessibility, emancipatory education, disability culture and arts, disability consciousness.
Upon completion of the course, students will be able to
- define the theoretical presumptions and pedagogical applications of Disability Studies and Disability Studies in Education
- utilise the concepts to analyse inclusive education and special education
- assess the accessibility and usability of various learning environments
- apply the principles of emancipatory and transformative education in teaching
- use pedagogical means to influence children’s and adolescents’ disability consciousness and attitudes towards disability
Connor, D., Valle, J.W. & Hale, C. 2015. Practicing Disability Studies in Education. Acting toward social change. Peter Lang: New York. ISBN 978-1-4331-2551-5 (paper back), 978-1-4539-1446-5 (e-book).Other material to be specified in the Study Programme (scientific articles).