CMBS1114 Advanced laboratory course for microbiology (4 cr)
Student learns basic methods in environmental microbiology, by isolating bacteria and bacteriophages from environmental sample.
Virus purification methods is made familiar during lectures. student will learn how of virus infectivity and replication is analysed, and how antiviral activity (including IC50/CC50, SI) is calculated.
A broader perspective on methodologies is given in lectures.
After this course, the student
- knows basic methods in isolation of microbes from environmental samples
- knows how to work aseptically
- knows basic microbiology methods in practice
- understands steps in virus purification and infectivity analysis
- understands how antiviral activity is analysed
material given during the course
Participation in teaching (4 cr)
participation on laboratory work, lectures, and writing a lab report.
material given in the course