XENX1003 Exploring EU texts in context (2 cr)
The course offers an opportunity for participants to explore texts produced by the EU. We will analyze a range of authentic EU texts (e.g., legislation, formal speech, communication, parliamentary question) by focusing on the context of text production as well as on structural and stylistic features. Participants will be encouraged to also discuss the content of the texts. In addition, students will be introduced to multilingual terminology tools and resources. Participants can use EU texts as source material in various university assignments, while the acquired background knowledge and skills can be utilized both during their studies and later in working life.
On completion of the course, participants are expected to…
- be familiar with the most typical texts produced in the EU context
- be able to analyze EU texts, based on their extra- and intratextual features
- be aware of the fundamental principles guiding communication and language use in the EU
- have acquired basic knowledge about the institutional structure of the EU
- be able to use multilingual EU terminology tools and resources (incl. creating their own Europass CV)