BENGENKOK Thematic module in Evolutionary Genetics (20 cr)
Department of Biological and Environmental Science
2020-2021, 2021-2022, 2022-2023, 2023-2024
The thematic package in evolutionary genetics offers an introduction to the diverse field of evolutionary genetics to motivated students who want to understand basic evolutionary and genetic principles. The package teaches fundamental concepts of inheritance, mutation, natural selection and genetic drift and how this knowledge can be applied to understand natural populations and how they change over time. The package prepares you for applying your knowledge also to other fields.
After completing the thematic package, the student:
- can explain how cells have evolved and explain flow of hereditary information and basic principles of metabolism.
- masters the basic concepts of classical genetics and molecular biology and understands the passage of genetic information and the processes involved in gene regulation and developmental- and molecular genetics.
- knows the main theories in evolutionary biology and how these theories have been tested in different research areas of evolutionary biology
- be familiar with basic bioinformatic methods and understand how to use databases to retrieve, analyze and interpret data at DNA- RNA- and protein levels.
- understand the basic concepts of population genetics, including genetic variation, Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium and the effects and interactions of different evolutionary factors (inbreeding, selection, mutation, genetic drift and migration) on genetic variation in populations.
Select all (20 cr)