XYHX1005 Multilingual and Intercultural Communication Competence (5 cr)
Centre for Multilingual Academic Communication
2020-2021, 2021-2022, 2022-2023, 2023-2024
The course introduces students to fundamental issues and concepts in multilingual and intercultural communication from an interdisciplinary perspective. The course offers a theoretical and practical framework for enhancing students’ knowledge of and competence in multilingual and intercultural communication. The course aims at building understanding of multilingual and intercultural communication competence needed in modern global and virtual work life.The aim of the course is to encourage students to gain basic knowledge about multilingual and intercultural communication, to enhance students’ multilingual and intercultural communication skills and language skills in some additional languages, and to build students’ confidence for participation in multilingual and intercultural virtual contexts.
The course consists of online lectures and discussions. In addition to this methods of learning include selected readings, a group assignment, and individual assignments to be completed in Moodle / other online platforms.
On completion of the course, the students are expected to:
- understand and be able to discuss fundamental issues in multilingual and intercultural communication such as identification, stereotyping or processes related to multilingual interaction
- acknowledge and be willing to engage with different ways of seeing and with realities different than one’s own both online as well as face-to-face
- appreciate the complexity of human interaction and understand that culture does not determine but rather may inform our communication in different ways
- be sensitive to power inequalities inherent in multilingual and intercultural communication
- have confidence to participate to online discussions in multilingual and intercultural contexts
- have tools to participate effectively and appropriately to multilingual and intercultural discussions, teams and groups.
Active participation and successful completion of all assignments. More detailed assessment criteria will be introduced at the beginning of the course.
Select all marked parts
Parts of the completion methods
Participation in teaching (5 cr)
Participation in teaching
No published teaching