XENX040 Intensive Summer Course in Academic English (4 cr)
This is an intensive preparatory course organized in August. The aim of the course is to prepare students for studying their major through English at the University of Jyväskylä. We will activate, practice and improve listening, speaking, reading and writing skills in English at lower intermediate – intermediate level. We will also discuss intercultural differences in academic conventions and focus on general academic study skills needed in studying here at the University of Jyväskylä. Typical tasks include reading, listening and speaking exercises, finding and evaluating information, writing an essay and leading a class discussion.
Contact teaching (40 hours) and independent study. Compulsory attendance.
LEARNING OUTCOMES: By the end of the course, the students are expected to be able to:
- employ different listening strategies for academic environments (e.g. lectures, group discussions)
- communicate confidently in informal and formal situations
- employ helpful reading strategies for finding and understanding the main points in a text
- develop their writing at the sentence and paragraph level
- recognize different study practices between one's home university and the University of Jyväskylä
TARGET GROUP: Incoming exchange students
PROFICIENCY LEVEL: B1-B2 (intermediate - upper intermediate)