XENX009 Integrated Research Communication (4–5 cr)
The course is integrated into some of JYU's English-medium master’s degree programmes. It aims at developing students’ academic literacies for learning through English in their chosen field, while increasing their awareness of the benefits of a process-based approach to academic writing. Key themes include information search and management, critical reading and writing as well as academic standards and field-specific conventions in written and oral academic communication. The course provides support for reporting research in various oral and written forms and writing the master’s thesis. Individual and collaborative work is required, during which students reflect not only on their own work but also on the work of their peers. All assignments are integrated with the subject studies and follow their requirements. The course may also be integrated into a specific subject study course, in which case the assignments and requirements are directly linked to that course.
Modes of completion
The course requires participation in contact teaching. Teaching methods may include lectures, workshops, student presentations, project work, group discussions, individual or small group tutorials and feedback sessions, etc. Collaborative and individual work is required.
Upon completion of the course, students are expected to:
- have developed effective skills and strategies required for information management and independent learning
- be able to analyze, critically evaluate, and synthesize information and ideas from reliable sources
- appropriately use outside sources with academic integrity
- be able to organize their ideas according to the structural requirements of a particular written or oral genre in their field
- demonstrate an understanding of general academic standards and discipline-specific conventions of language use in various written and oral assignments
- know how to reflect on their own writing and interaction and provide constructive peer feedback
Compulsory course in some English-medium master’s degree programmes. Please check your requirements from your HOPS or from https://movi.jyu.fi/fi/opintotarjonta/kielitarjonta/englanti/international-ma-students. Please register in your own group in Sisu.
PROFICIENCY LEVEL: B2 -> C1 (upper intermediate - advanced)