XEN0054 Academic Study Skills (2 cr)
The aim of the course is to prepare students for studying their major through English at the University of Jyväskylä. Activation and development of basic academic study skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing will be emphasized. We will also discuss intercultural differences in academic conventions and focus on general academic study skills needed in university studies. Typical tasks include reading, listening and speaking exercises, finding and evaluating information, writing an academic summary, and leading a class discussion. Tasks will be carried out through individual, pair and group work.
Contact teaching and independent study. Compulsory attendance in class tutorials.
By the end of the course, the students are expected to be able to:
- employ different listening strategies for academic environments (e.g. lectures, group discussions),
- communicate confidently in informal and formal situations,
- employ helpful reading strategies for finding and understanding the main points in a text,
- develop their writing at the sentence and paragraph level,
- recognize different study practices between one's home university and the University of Jyväskylä.
TARGET GROUP: Primarily intended for incoming short-term exchange students
PROFICIENCY LEVEL: A2-B1 (lower intermediate - intermediate)