TILP2600 From data to model (5 cr)
Sampling distribution. Point estimation. Model based statistical inference: confidence intervals, significance test. Linear regression model. Basics of analysis of variance.
A student who passes the course successfully,
- knows the concept and the role of sampling distributions in statistics,
- knows what is a confidence interval and is able to calculate and interpret it for expected values,
- knows the principles of statistical tests,
- is able to carry out basic significance tests and interpret the results,
- knows the principles of simple linear regression,
- is able to construct and interpret linear regression models in simple cases, and
- is familiar with one-way analysis of variance and how to apply and interpret it in simple cases.
Lectures are given in Finnish. Please contact the examiner well before the exam by email, to get the chapters that are included in the exam.
Description of prerequisites
The exams for foreign students are based on book Moore & McCabe (& Craig): Introduction to the practice of statistics. Please contact the examiner well before the exam by email, to get the chapters that are included in the exam.