KOPS1004 Integrating language and content in teaching (5 cr)
The course focuses on different pedagogical approaches that integrate language and content in teaching and learning, e.g. immersion, CLIL, Finnish as a second language and content teaching in students' first language (i.e. L1 teaching). The course aims to show how these approaches and the discussions related to them are intertwined with the changes in different socio-political contexts and the field of language studies. We will use both spoken interactions and written texts to analyze for instance how genres and subject-specific language use manifest in language and content integration.
Contact teaching, reading group, group work, project work
No alternative mode of completion is offered for this course as it is very much a hands-on course where students do lot of group work and data workshops.
Active participation during lessons, small-scale group project work and its presentation, written report.
More detailed information on the assessment criteria for each grade will be given in writing in the first meeting of the course.
- be familiar with different theoretical and methodological approaches to researching language and content integration in teaching
- be able to reflect on the relationship between language and content in different pedagogical environments, e.g. immersion, CLIL, Finnish as a second language and L1 teaching
- understand how content-based teaching and learning challenges current conceptions of language and learning
- understand how genres and subject-specific ways of using language shape language practices
Attendance policy: 100%.
Description of prerequisites
- Prerequisite group 1
- KLSA124 Introduction to Second Language Learning and Teaching (0 cr)Not published for this curriculum period
- KOPA1000 Introduction to Language Learning and Teaching Research (5 cr)
Teaching (5 cr)
Kontaktiopetus, ryhmätyöskentely, loppuraportti.
Lista luettavista artikkeleista ilmoitetaan kurssin opintoympäristössä.