EKIS6500 MA Thesis (30 cr)
Completing a scientific thesis.
The MA Thesis is a research report conducted with the help scientific methods. Planning and conducting a research project and writing it up as the MA Thesis provides students practice in a number of research skills. These skills are crucial also in the work of both language teachers and language specialists, including the ability to plan and conduct work-related projects, critical reading and writing and presentation skills.
Independent work, supervision
The faculty’s assessment criteria for master’s theses
After completing the study unit, students are able to
- narrow down the research topic and link it to their field in a relevant way; formulate the research questions or objectives of the thesis
- collect information on the topic independently, utilise earlier studies and evaluate them critically
- define the key concepts of the chosen topic and apply them in their research
- select, narrow down and collect material suitable for the research task
- apply the chosen research method to investigate the research questions or to achieve the objectives of the thesis, also understanding the strengths and weaknesses of the method
- present their research results in an organised manner, relate them to the theoretical framework and evaluate them critically
- present relevant arguments and follow the principles of scientific writing
- master the working process
- follow the ethical principles of research throughout the thesis process
Description of prerequisites
Intermediate studies and most Advanced Studies completed.
Independent study (30 cr)
Independent work, individual supervision