BENA2031 Introduction to biota (4 cr)
After completing this course, the student should be able to
· describe the basis for the classification of living organisms and the importance of the classification.
· explain the concept of species and the associated constraints.
· identify and name the most important domestic organism groups, and a few examples of the species.
· find and recognize the most important morphological features in the individuals and to utilize these features in the identification of organisms.
· describe what are the opportunities and the importance of genetic material in the identification and classification of organisms.
· handle organism samples, as well as to use a microscope and identification keys in practical identification work.
Description of prerequisites
BENP1001, BENP1002, BENP1004
Course materials are shared in Moodle.
Independent study (1 cr)
Preparation and presentation of own herbarium.
Participation in teaching (3 cr)
Lectures and laboratory work, assignments and final exam.