MATS230 Partial Differential Equations (9 cr)
Introduction to partial differential equations, transport equation, Laplace equation, heat equation and wave equation, physical interpretations, different ways of solving the equations, representing solutions by computer.
- recognizes transport equation, Laplace equation, heat equation and wave equation
- knows physical interpretations for the equations
- knows and can apply basic properties of the equations
- can solve simple PDE problems
- can represent solutions by computer
Description of prerequisites
Intermediate studies in mathematics, at least Vector calculus 2
- Prerequisite group 1
- Evans: Partial differential equations
Participation in teaching (9 cr)
Lectures and homework
- Evans: Partial differential equations.
Exam (9 cr)
Independent study and final exam.