BENS5112 Data Processing and Visualization in Biology (2 cr)
This course is designed for beginner coders who want to take the next step in their data journey! Especially beneficial for Master’s students and early PhD researchers who want to learn how to visualize information. We will be using the ggplot2 package in R to make all of your graphics dreams come true— spatial data, raincloud plots, tables—this course is designed for the vast array of data that ecologists will encounter throughout their careers.
After this course the student will…
- get familiar with a variety of chart types and their suitability for different data;
- learn how to clean and wrangle data sets,
- know how to code and customize a variety of plot types;
- become acquainted with designing interactive plots;
- be able to orient themselves in the R ecosystem by utilizing help functions (i.e., package vignettes) and crowd-sourced code (i.e., stack overflow, github).
All code will be available in course GitHub repository
Description of prerequisites
Completed Bachelor’s studies in life sciences
Professional enthusiasm for embracing R