YLAS4120 Financial Statement Analysis and Valuation (6 cr)
Financial statements, financial statement analysis, financial ratios, scenario analysis, intangibles, net present value, risk and return, valuation of securities, financial instruments and forecasting (e.g. financial distress). The course topics support understanding economic growth, financial services and making productive investments according to UN sustainable development goal 8.
On successful completion of this advanced level course, students will be able to:
- analyze financial statements critically and theoretically and compare the profitability, solidity and risks of organizations;
- use spreadsheet program in analyzing companies and financial statements, thereby improving the IT, data analysis and problem solving skills of students;
- analyze and valuate securities at an advanced level;
- understand scenario and sensitivity analyses;
- combine and use financial statement information and market data for decision-making and valuation.
Description of prerequisites
Basic knowledge of financial accounting (Note! Basic knowledge of finance is helpful in this course).
Course book and the course work guide as well as other course materials, possibly including e.g. course slides or spreadsheet examples or articles, specified later by the instructor.
- Koller, Wessels, Goedhart. Valuation: measuring and managing the value of companies (e-book); ISBN: 9780470889947
Teaching etc. (6 cr)
Lectures, exercises, course work and exam