XYHH1000 Academic and Work Life Communication (2 cr)
The course introduces students to communication skills required in multicultural work life. Concepts of multilingual and multicultural teams, interpersonal skills and social networks, and academic argumentation skills are the themes of the course. During the course, students will participate in activities that engage them in academic communication situations where ethical considerations, interpersonal relationships, social networks and multicultural dynamics are considered in academic and professional contexts. Main language used during the course is English, but issues of multilingual communication are also addressed (issues of language and power etc.).
- interpersonal skills, multicultural skills
- diverse groups in work life
- academic argumentation skills
- ethics in academic communication.
Upon completion of this course, students are expected to:
- be able to understand and apply the ethical considerations of academic communication
- understand the meaning of interpersonal relationships and social networks in contemporary work life.
- have enhanced their communication skills in order to take part in academic discourses.
- have gained confidence in participating in multilingual and intercultural contexts.
- be able to appreciate and participate in multicultural groups and teams in professional contexts.
- understand issues of language, power and positioning in different contexts and situations.