XENM001 Academic Reading (2 cr)
The course focuses on developing academic literacy, management and use of sources, reading skills and strategies, understanding details and relationships between ideas, as well as vocabulary strategies for reading extensive academic discipline specific texts. Interaction with peers and active learning will also be included.
Assignments include the development of effective reading strategies and study skills, searching and evaluating information, and explaining concepts and terminology. In addition, interactive communication, practiced through individual, pair- and group work, are emphasized. Students practice reporting research information in one's own words in Finnish and/or English.
- have developed appropriate reading strategies which include skimming and scanning.
- have acquired academic literacy skills (e.g. find, use and evaluate online tools and sources)
- be able to identify various types of academic research and reporting types (e.g. qualitative and quantitative research, empirical and review articles)
- be able to access, identify, and distinguish disciplinary and intercultural conventions and concepts, as well as terminology used in the field,
- know how to discuss, summarise, and synthesize research information in their own words orally and in written form in Finnish and/or in English,
- be able to do self and peer assessments and to work in teams.
Compulsory for some degrees – check your requirements from your HOPS
TARGET GROUPS: Primarily 1st year JYU degree students
PROFICIENCY LEVEL: B2 -> C1 (upper intermediate - advanced)