XENL003 Communication Skills (for Sport and Health Sciences) (2 cr)
Students will enhance their oral communication skills in academic and professional situations relating to their own field and future profession. Students will become familiar with the conventions and cultural considerations associated with spoken production and interaction. In addition students will continue to develop communication confidence and team working skills.
General and small group discussions, field-specific presentations, problem-solving tasks.
After completion of the course students are expected to:
- communicate orally, with confidence, in formal and informal situations in an academic and workplace context,
- prepare and deliver a professional presentation that follows internationally accepted norms.
- recognize, understand and adjust to intercultural or interdisciplinary differences in communication,
- work purposefully in groups, negotiating and building on the contributions of others to complete tasks,
- present information and argue clearly and academically to others,
- access and apply repertoire tools and competencies for field-specific vocabulary
- be familiar with and use various resources to facilitate and support the above.
Compulsory for some degrees – check your requirements from your HOPS
TARGET GROUPS: Primarily second year JYU degree students
PROFICIENCY LEVEL: B2 -> C1 (upper intermediate - advanced)
Description of prerequisites
- Prerequisite group 1