MUSS1055 Embodiment in Music (5 cr)
The course focuses on embodied music cognition, which examines the production and experience of music from the lens of the moving and sensing body. In addition studying the theoretical and philosophical foundations of embodiment in music, students design, implement and report a small-scale experimental study.
After completing the course student
- is able to explain the philosophical foundations of embodiment in music
- understands the theoretical foundations, methods and research goals of embodied cognition
- can critically evaluate research literature related to the topic
- is able to apply the theoretical foundations and methods in developing research topics.
- is able to design and execute a small experiment on embodiment in music and report it in English or Finnish.
Timing: 1st or 2nd year of study.