MUSA2003 Music & Computing 1: Music Programming and Audio Analysis (5 cr)
This course provides a theoretical and practical introduction to selected areas of computational musicology with a focus on the analysis and description of music in symbolic (e.g. MIDI), and digital forms. A focus is based on musical features relevant to music perception.
After completing the course the student is able to:
- Define the principal factors of a digital audio system
- Implement sound synthesis and audio processing algorithms/functions using standard analysis software and/or programming environments.
- Apply knowledge of digital audio for research purposes such as music information retrieval
- Write simple programming scripts for computational audio analysis
- Come up with creative strategies for analyzing sound computationally.