MONA1000 Introduction to Discourse Studies (5 cr)
In this course the students will familiarise themselves with the starting points, key questions and concepts of discourse studies with the help of lectures, analysis tasks and independent learning assignments.
Recommended: Contact teaching, independent learning assignments, home exam.
Independent study: Self-study package
After completing the course the student
- can observe and analyse language as social action
- understands the starting points of discourse studies and is familiar with key introductory literature
- knows the key concepts in discourse studies and can apply them in analytical tasks
- can search for further information on discourse studies and apply it in her/his thesis
- understands discourse skills as part of studying and working life skills and is motivated to practice them
There is a self-study package available for this course. However, major students of languages are recommended to select contact teaching as method. The self-study package is suitable for minor students or those who have changed their programme.
Description of prerequisites
* MONP1000 Towards multidisciplinary language expertise
* MONP1001 Critical thinking and knowledge production
Language expert students who have started before 2017:
* KLSP007 Towards multidisciplinary language expertise
The above-mentioned courses are not required from students in the Finnish language and Literature programme.
- Prerequisite group 1
- Prerequisite group 2
- KLSP007 Towards Multidisciplinary Language Expertise (2 cr)Not published for this curriculum period
Lecture material, course book. Independent study: reading list provided by the instructor.
- Pietikäinen, Sari & Mäntynen, Anne, Kurssi kohti diskurssia, Vastapaino 2019; ISBN: 978-951-768-243-5