MATA114 Ordinary Differential Equations (4 cr)
Basic solution techniques for first and second order ordinary differential equations. Examples of series solutions and numerical methods.
The contents correpond to
Robert A. Adams: Calculus (8th ed.) chapter 18,
Boyce and DiPrima: Elementary differential equations and boundary value problems, chapters 1-5.
- masters basic terminology related to differential equations
- recognizes and can solve separable equations and separable recoverable equations
- is able to solve the first order linear differential equation
- can solve second order equations that return to the first order
- knows how to apply the ordinal drop to find another solution to a homogeneous equation when one solution is known
- can solve a second order constant coefficient using a homogeneous linear differential equation with a characteristic polynomial
- knows how to find a solution to a second-order linear differential equation by constant variation and constant multiplication by experiment
- is familiar with the series solutions of differential equations
- is familiar with the numerical methods of solving differential equations
Description of prerequisites
- Boyce W. E., DiPrima R. C., Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems, WILEY, ISBN: 978-1-119-38164-8
- Adams, Robert A., Calculus: A Complete Course, 8. laitos, Pearson 2013.; ISBN: 978-0-321-78107-9
Teaching (4 cr)
Lectures 28h (in Finnish), 7 sets of homework
Exam (4 cr)
Independent studying and final exam.