KUMS4009 International cultural politics (5 cr)
The course introduces students to the international organisations that have an impact on
regional and national cultural policies. It also offers analyses on the international laws and
norms influencing cultures, cultural relations and cultural rights. The course includes caseexamples about the afore-mentioned issues. The course discusses also about international
cultural representations, consumption and media.
Lecture course or independent study (book exam, study circle or essay).
Course: 80% attendance requirement and completion of written assignments. Independent
study: book exam, study circle or written essay.
- be familiar with the most important international organisations and norms influencing
- recognises the contradictions and disputes between different organisations and actors
and knows their historical backgrounds and
- is able to combine his/her previous knowledge on cultural theories and international
cultural policy cases and to produce critical evaluations and new perspectives.
book exam, choose three of the following:
- Selection of articles (3-5) from the International Journal of Cultural Policy.
- Singh, J. P. (ed.) 2010: International Cultural Policies and Power.
- De Beukelaer, Christiaan ym. (eds.) 2015: Globalization, Culture and Development.
- Gielen, Pascal ym. (eds.) 2015: No Culture, No Europe: On the Foundation of Politics.