KUMS4008 Technologies in Culture (5 cr)
The course deals with technology from the perspective of cultural studies. The course focuses on the social and cultural meanings of technological innovation.
Taught course or independent work (book exam, reading group or essay).
80% participation in teaching and written assignments or lecture exam. Completion by independent study – essay, a book exam or reading group.
After completing the course, the student will:
- understand technology from the perspective of cultural studies
- have an understanding of the ethical, social and societal issues related to technology
The course coordinator will refer students to learning material. For the book exam, three works are selected from the following list:
- Harari, Yuval Noah 2016: Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow. Saatavana myös<br />suomeksi.
- Richardson, Kathleen 2015: An Anthropology of Robots and AI: Annihilation Anxiety and<br />Machines.
- Hjorth, Larissa et al. 2019: Locating the Mobile: Understanding Mundane Locative Media<br />Practice in Households.
- Tenhunen, Sirpa 2018: A Village goes mobile: telephony, mediation and social change in rural<br />India.