KEMY004 Introduction to Finnish Laboratory Work (1 cr)
KEMY004 is designed for exchange and other foreign students, who have already completed laboratory course(s) at home university, to give suitable introduction and training in working in a laboratory in Finland. The presence in the lectures and laboratory shifts is obligatory. The course is obligatory before one can start laboratory practice. The student gets acquainted with basic and prescribed practices in Finnish laboratory. Laboratory and chemical safety, legislation, good laboratory practices and waste treatment are the key issues in the course. The performed exercises will be scientifically reported. The course is given in English.
The course will give information about how to work safely and in accordance with regulations in the Department of Chemistry and other Finnish chemical laboratories. Reminding the laboratory terminology and equipment. Familiarization with synthetic and analytical work, as well as, with writing the laboratory notebook and scientific reports. Practicing the group work skills and ability to work in foreign laboratory environment.
Working life skills
- Students adopt safe ways of working in Finnish laboratories, including outside universities.
- Student interaction skills develop through teamwork.
- Students will expand their understanding of synthesis chemistry, analytics and scientific reporting, and strengthen their ability to work in a foreign environment.
Description of prerequisites
Teaching (1 cr)
The course consist of
- lecture(s) (compulsory attendance)
- laboratory exercise(s) (compulsory attendance)
- scientific reporting.
Laboratory exercise(s) is done in supervised group work. The group writes the report from the exercise(s).
Lecture material and laboratory instructions.