KEMP113 Basics in Chemistry 3 (Inorganic Chemistry) (5 cr)
The course focuses on:
- atomic structure,
- periodic table and its recurring trends,
- basics of chemical bonding,
- ionic bonding and ionic compounds,
- metallic bonding and metals,
- structures of simple solids,
- acids and bases,
- oxidation states and redox reactions,
- fundamentals of coordination chemistry,
- naming of inorganic compounds, and
- physical techniques in (inorganic) chemistry.
Self-study and final exam (the course is lectured in Finnish).
Final exam with a maximum of 36 points. Lowest passed grade (1/5) requires 50% of the points.
- is familiar with the structure of the periodic table and its recurring trends,
- remembers the basic terminology used by inorganic chemists,
- understands the classification of chemical bonding to three main types,
- is able to describe the structures of simple solids,
- is familiar with different classifications of acids and bases,
- knows how to apply oxidation states to describe redox reactions,
- is familiar with basic concepts of coordination chemistry,
- knows how to name simple inorganic compounds according to IUPAC rules, and
- acquires an overview of physical techniques in (inorganic) chemistry and knows the basics of how they are applied in research.
The course is lectured every year in the third period.
Description of prerequisites
Connelly, Neil; Damhus, Ture; Hartshorn, Richard; Hutton, Alan (eds.): Nomenclature of Inorganic Chemistry: IUPAC Recommendations 2005 (ISBN-13:9780854044382), RSC Publishing, 2005, chapters 1-9.
- Weller, Mark; Overton, Tina; Rourke, Jonathan; Armstrong Fraser: Inorganic Chemistry, 6th Edition, Oxford University Press, 2014.; ISBN: 9780199641826
- Connelly, Neil; Damhus, Ture; Hartshorn, Richard; Hutton, Alan (eds.): Nomenclature of Inorganic Chemistry: IUPAC Recommendations 2005, RSC Publishing, 2005.; ISBN: 9780854044382