KEMA2250 Structure of Atoms and Molecules (4 cr)
- basics of quantum mechanics
- chemical bond
- electronic structure of atoms and molecules
- energy levels of molecules
- fundamentals of atomic and molecular spectroscopy
After completing the course the student
- understands the formalism of basic quantum mechanics.
- realises the connections between quantum mechanics and spectroscopy.
- understands the interaction between the electromagnetic field and molecules.
- learns to interpret simple optical and vibrational spectra.
- understands the basic physical and mathematical language of chemistry.
Working life skills
- Theoretical basics of spectroscopic analysis.
- Ability to solve chemical problems based on theory.
Description of prerequisites
mandatory: KEMP1110 The World of Molecules and KEMP1120 Chemical Equilibrium and Energy (or KEMP111 and KEMP112 Basics of Chemistry 1 and 2, or equivalent knowledge) and MATP211 and MATP212 Calculus 1 and 2 or equivalent mathematical skills.
- P. Atkins ja J. de Paula: Atkins' Physical Chemistry, 11th edition (older editions OK)
Participation in teaching (4 cr)
Luentoja ja harjoituksia
Exam (4 cr)
If you want to take exam in English, please contact the teacher.