KEMA2240 Thermodynamics and Chemical Equilibrium (4 cr)
- Gas laws
- Basic rules of thermodynamics
- Phase changes of the pure substance
- The thermodynamic basis of alloy formation
- Chemical equilibrium
After completing the course the student
- can interpret physical processes with the concepts of classical thermodynamics.
- can evaluate the effect of reaction conditions on chemical equilibrium.
- can quantitatively determine the energy of chemical systems by applying the laws of thermology.
- is able to handle state changes theoretically and form phase diagrams.
- understands the connection between thermodynamics and electrochemistry.
Working life skills
- The student is able to solve and modify chemical processes based on theory.
- The student understands the physical properties of chemicals.
Description of prerequisites
KEMP1110 The World of Molecules and KEMP1120 Chemical Equilibrium and Energy (or KEMP111 and KEMP112 Basics of Chemistry 1 and 2, or equivalent knowledge) and MATP211 and MATP212 Calculus 1 and 2 or equivalent mathematical skills.
- P. Atkins and J. de Paula: Atkins' Physical Chemistry, 7th - 11th editions. (ISBN: 978-0-19-969740-3)
Participation in teaching (4 cr)
Kurssin suorittamiseksi tehdään laskuharjoituksia ja loppukoe.
Exam (4 cr)
If you want to take exam in English, please contact the teacher.