KEMA214 Inorganic Chemistry 1 (4 cr)
The course focusses on:
- fundamentals of molecular symmetry,
- theories of covalent bonding (valence bond theory and molecular orbital theory), and
- basics of main group (groups 1, 2 and 13-18) chemistry.
Self-study and final exam (the course is lectured in Finnish).
Final exam with a maximum of 36 points. Lowest passed grade (1/5) requires 50% of the points.
- is able to determine molecular symmetry (point group) from its structure,
- knows how molecular symmetry is applied in chemistry and description of covalent bonding in particular,
- is familiar with fundamental theories of covalent bonding,
- is able to describe covalent bonding in molecules using qualitative valence bond theory and molecular orbital theory, and
- acquires an overview of main group chemistry (common compounds, their synthesis and uses).
The course is lectured every year in the third period.
Description of prerequisites
Connelly, Neil; Damhus, Ture; Hartshorn, Richard; Hutton, Alan (eds.): Nomenclature of Inorganic Chemistry: IUPAC Recommendations 2005 (ISBN-13:9780854044382), RSC Publishing, 2005, chapters 1-9.
- Connelly, Neil; Damhus, Ture; Hartshorn, Richard; Hutton, Alan (eds.): Nomenclature of Inorganic Chemistry: IUPAC Recommendations 2005, RSC Publishing, 2005.; ISBN: 9780854044382
- Weller, Mark; Overton, Tina, Rourke, Jonathan; Armstrong Fraser: Inorganic Chemistry, 6th Edition, Oxford University Press, 2014.; ISBN: 9780199641826