JSBS1120 Qualitative research methods in marketing and corporate communication (5 cr)
The study module provides students with advanced knowledge about qualitative methods in business research, including an understanding on research ethics and on how to treat research materials. Students will learn how to plan, conduct and interpret qualitative scientific research in a variety of contexts and situations.
After completing the study module, the student:
• understands the nature of scientific knowledge and the main paradigms of science
• understands the main assumptions of a qualitative research methodology
• knows the main features of various types of qualitative research, such as eth/net-nographics, case study, qualitative content and thematic analyses, interview/focus group and narrative research designs
• is able to generate research plans for interpreting qualitative research data
• is able to develop a solid study plan and conduct data collection and analysis
• can critically evaluate the quality of results
• understands and can clearly explain the basics of research ethics and their implications for qualitative research results
Contact teaching course including lectures and exercises, autumn semester. Active participation is expected. The study methods of the contact teaching course are specified in the study program annually.
Reading material assigned by lecturers.
- Eriksson, P. & Kovalainen, A. (2016). Qualitative Methods in Business Research (2nd ed.)
- O'Gorman, K. D. & MacIntosh, R. (2015). Global Management Series: Research Methods for Business and Management. Goodfellow Publishers (ebook) (a selection of chapters)
- Adams, J., Khan, H.T.A. & Raeside, R. (2014). Research methods for business and social science students (eBook) Qualitative research -chapters