EKIS640 MA Thesis (40 cr)
The MA Thesis is a research report conducted with the help scientific methods. Planning and conducting a research project and writing it up as the MA Thesis provides students practice in a number of research skills. These skills are crucial also in the work of both language teachers and language specialists, including the ability to plan and conduct work-related projects, critical reading and writing and presentation skills.
Independent work, individual supervision
MA thesis and the working process
- narrow down the topic to be researched and connect it to the chosen field of research in a relevant way
- set a research task and formulate research questions or aims that support it
- master the topic and key concepts of the thesis, analyse and critically evaluate information linked to the research topic, and draw reasoned conclusions
- choose and justify a relevant research or working method and put it into practice
- collect, choose, narrow down and analyse data suitable for the task
- present the results of their work in an organised manner, relate them to the theoretical framework and critically evaluate them
- write a report and form arguments according to conventions of scientific writing
- control the working process and the difficulties related to it
- obey the ethical principles of conducting research
Students, who have started their studies and have started their MA thesis before 1.8.2020 still have the chance to complete their thesis with 40 study credits during the academic year 2020-2021.