CEMS2160 Sustainable Consumption and Marketing (5 cr)
The course aims to provide a comprehensive framework for understanding how sustainability issues can be an essential part of marketing strategy. Special attention is given to the areas of sustainable management and consumer behavior.
UN Sustainable Development Goals
This course supports several UN Sustainable Development Goals (9 Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure, 12 Responsible Production and Consumption, and 13 Climate Action) by discussing sustainable consumption and its marketing. It teaches how to increase the integration of small-scale industrial and other enterprises into the value chains and markets, how to encourage companies to integrate sustainability information into their reporting cycle and how to improve education and awareness-raising of consumers on climate change mitigation, adaptation and impact reduction.
• define and explain marketing, sustainability and sustainable marketing concepts and understand the relationship between these concepts;
• analyze and explain strategic and operative level sustainable marketing decisions related to advertising, products and services, digital issues, brands and marketing communication;
• describe and analyze models of consumer behavior within the framework of sustainable consumerism and understand the crucial role of the consumer;
• identify the role and importance of sustainability in b-to-b-marketing and along the supply chain.
Description of prerequisites
Basic marketing course
- Martin, D. & Schouten J. Sustainable Marketing