BENS5059 Laboratory animal science course (5 cr)
- Persons working with experimental animals must have adequate education and training before starting their work. This course will give necessary knowledge and guidance how to design the procedures and projects on animals. The course is intended especially for those who will work with animals during their studies/during their thesis work/in future employment. After successful completion of the course, the participants will receive a certificate on receiving education and training on the basis of the Finnish and European legislation for the protection of animals used for scientific or educational purposes (Function B: To design procedures or projects and Function A: To carry out procedures (species specific)).
- The course follows the education and training framework developed by European Commission:
After completing this course, the student
· knows the legislation and 3R-principles when using animals in experiments
· can identify species-specific biology, behaviour and environmental and dietary needs of animals and their welfare monitoring
· knows the basic handling and dosing principles, basics of anestesia and analgesia
· is able to design an animal experiment and to apply for a project license from the National Animal Experiment Board
· can describe the variables affecting significance and identify formal ways of determining the sample size
· can explain how to assess expert help in the design of an experiment and the interpretation of experimental results
· knows the principles of scientific reporting and critical evaluation of scientific articles.
Priority to BIOENV students and those whose studies or work will include experimental animals in near future. Students from other departments: please check that your dept is willing to pay the costs of the course.
Description of prerequisites
Basics of statistics
· Lecture materials