BENS5037 Master of Science Thesis (30 cr)
The aim is to train students to perform independent research. The thesis research is carried out under guidance. Before starting the project the student is required to submit master’s thesis announcement form. The subject of the thesis must be agreed upon in advance with the professor responsible for the major studies. The theoretical background as well as the research plan should be presented in Master's seminar 1 before the experiments and data collection begins. The results of the research are presented in Master’s seminar 2.
After finishing this course the student:
- is able to perform scientific research under supervision
- can acquire scientific knowledge, read scientific articles and use that knowledge appropriately when writing a thesis.
- understands the research methods used and can analyze her/his results
- can present the research question's theoretical background and her/his own results
- is able to interpret her/his own results and draw conclusions
- is able to write scientific text with logic and clarity
- is experienced in ethical scientific practice.
In BENS4039 Maister's seminar 1 course, students learn more information about beginning the thesis and its evaluation.
Description of prerequisites
Independent study (30 cr)
The theoretical background as well as research plan will be presented in Master's seminar 1 before the work begins. The research results will be presented in Master’s seminar 2. Accepted theses are public and they must be saved in the JYX publication archive of the University Library before final course credits are given.