BENA2032 Field inventory of biota (3 cr)
After completing this course, the student should be able to
· plan - under supervision - a field inventory project stemming from inventory needs.
· plan - basing on the inventory question - what and how can be inventoried reliably and reproducibly, and to assess the reliability of inventory data.
· tell the main sampling methods and associated uncertainties.
· carry out the most important forest measurements and vegetation surveys as well as field sampling of different animal groups.
· identify and name the most common domestic plant and vertebrate species and invertebrate groups.
· describe the main steps of the field inventory project.
· explain the underlying ecological theory for habitat type classification and apply the theory when describing habitat types.
· describe major forest habitat types (biotopes) found in Finland, identify characteristic plant species of each habitat type in the field and name the habitat type according to the flora.
Description of prerequisites
BENP1001, BENP1002, BENP1004, BENA2031
Course material are shared in Moodle.
Participation in teaching (3 cr)
Planning inventory study project, attendance at field work.