XSU0008 Finnish for Foreigners 4 (6 cr)
The aim of the course is for the language user to achieve independence in their language use – in other words, that s/he can participate in discussions about Finnish society and culture, and independently follow Finnish media.
The course’s 70 contact hours are used to teach Finnish with the help of various tasks/exercises, which are done in groups, pairs, and independently. Some project work is also done on the course. Different language skill areas will be practiced on the course: speaking, listening and reading comprehension, and writing. Grammar and vocabulary studies are integrated with the work on these skills. The exercises and texts used on the course are taken from authentic media sources concerning contemporary issues. In addition to the class exercises, homework assignments are an important part of the course.
Completion of the course requires active participation and attendance as well as returning the given tasks/exercises within the agreed schedule. At the end of the course, there will be an exam (skill-areas: speaking, listening comprehension, reading comprehension, writing, and structures and vocabulary. The grade that the students receive is based on both the coursework and the end of course exam.
- know how to act fluently in different formal and informal interaction situations
- understand topical texts and speech related to society, studies and work
- be able to talk spontaneously and accurately about familiar topics, both orally and in writing
- be able to summarise and share information in their own words about abstract and more unfamiliar topics, both orally and in writing
- be able to evaluate their own language skills and language usage and learning strategies, as well as systematically use the environment to support their learning
STATUS: Basic course
TARGET GROUP: Students who have completed Suomi 3
Description of prerequisites
PROFICIENCY LEVEL: B1