XENX003 Communication Skills (3 cr)
Students will enhance their oral communication skills in academic and professional situations relating to their own field and future profession. Students will become familiar with the conventions and cultural considerations associated with spoken production and interaction. In addition students will develop communication confidence and team working skills.
General and small group discussions, field-specific individual presentations, problem-solving tasks.
Continuous assessment based on active participation in group setting and successful completion of assignments, and preparation and delivery of a field-specific presentation. Self-, peer- and teacher assessment.
- communicate orally, with confidence, in formal and informal situations in an academic and workplace context
- prepare and deliver a professional presentation that follows internationally accepted norms
- recognize, understand and adjust to fundamental intercultural differences in communication
- work purposefully in groups, negotiating and building on the contributions of others to complete tasks
- present information and argue clearly, concisely, and persuasively to others
- master their field-specific vocabulary
- be familiar with and use various resources to facilitate and support the above
Course is organized by JYU Open University.