XENT001 Academic Reading (3 cr)
The course focuses on developing critical academic reading skills and strategies, as well as vocabulary strategies for reading extensive discipline specific texts. Information management and activation of communication skills will also be included. The focus of the course varies depending on the discipline, student needs etc. The course may also be integrated with subject studies.
Assignments include development of effective reading strategies and study skills, searching and evaluating information, and explaining concepts and terminology. In addition, reporting research information in one’s own words in Finnish and in English is an important skill to be practised. Interactive teaching involving individual, pair- and group work. Attendance is compulsory.
Compulsory and active participation. Successful completion of core assignments. Final grading is based on the applicable grading scale for the course.
- have developed appropriate strategies for extensive and intensive reading (e.g. to skim, scan and locate the main points),
- have learnt academic study skills required for critical information management and evaluation (e.g. search, use and evaluate electronic tools and references),
- be able to identify various types of academic research reporting types and argumentation (e.g. qualitative vs. quantitative research reports, reviews, argumentative texts),
- to be able to identify and distinguish disciplinary and intercultural conventions and concepts, and terminology used in the field,
- know how to discuss, summarise, synthesise and formulate research information in their own words orally and in written form in Finnish and/or in English,
- be able to do self and peer assessments and to work in teams.
Compulsory course for most undergraduate degrees, and also for some Master’s degrees – check the requirements for your faculty
TARGET GROUP: 1st year students