XENA010 Academic Writing Modules: Conference Posters (2 cr)
The conference posters module is intended for doctoral students. Professional conferences offer a variety of presentation formats. Opportunities for poster presentations are generally less competitive, and thus a great way to participate in conferences and build one's professional vitae. In this module we will examine effective examples of conference posters. Participants will then have the opportunity to create and present a poster based on their current research.
Compulsory and active participation. Successful completion of core assignments. Final grading is based on the applicable grading scale for the course.
- understand the professional significance of conference poster presentations
- plan a poster presentation for a professional conference in your field
- present information clearly and persuasively to others
- visually represent ideas and data from your research
- practice creating handouts and abstracts for poster presentations
- discuss in English, in depth, the primary aspects of your research
- reflect on your experience to help you plan future projects
- use dictionaries and online tools critically for developing your vocabulary and field-specific vocabulary