JOUS1025 Innovations in Journalism (5 cr)
New ideas, concepts, tools, methods, and - innovations are constantly needed in media industries, including news business and journalism. The course gives first insights of how innovations happen in societies. Then it proceeds to the best practices of innovations in journalism, and finally, aims at building an innovative mindset in terms of practical implications.
Passing the course requires completion of all required assignments in line with stated learning outcomes and active participation in classes. An 80% attendance requirement is applied.
Grade-specific assessment criteria are introduced in the course.
- understands the importance of innovations in societies, media industries, and journalism
- knows the most important innovation theories
- detects new trends in journalism and the most innovative media organizations
- is able to analyze critically the new business models for journalism
- can theoretically innovate a draft for new journalism service or product.
Recommended timing: 4th or 5th year (Journalism Master's Degree Programme students: 1st or 2nd year)
- Uskali 2011. Innovaatiot ja journalismi
- Küng 2015. Innovators in Digital News
- Gershon 2017. Digital Media and Innovation