YJOA3110 Strategic Management (6 cr)
Historical development and schools of thought of strategic management
Strategic management as processional field
Connections between change and strategic management
Interplay between internal and external environments of an organization and role of strategic management in steering the relationship
Factors driving and changing competition within industries
Crafting and implementing strategy as a holistic process
Challenges related to growth and organizing
The role of management in the process of strategic management
JSBE: Contact teaching course, spring semester, 3rd period. The study methods of the contact teaching course are specified in the study program.
Open University: Contact teaching course (study methods will be announced in the annual study programme) or online course (study methods will be announced in the annual study programme) or book exam or essay
Accepted completion of the designated assingments. The assessment criteria of the course is specified in the study program annually.
- Explain the basic principles of strategic management and the central ideas of the most important schools of thought within the field
- Understand how the principles of strategic management and its schools of thought are connected to practical and research-oriented lines of thought
- Specify, evaluate, and compare some of the central confrontations between ideas found within the strategic management literature
- Assess and consider one's own interest in practical duties related to strategic management
- Understand the importance of strategic management for the practical functioning of organizations as well as in terms of scientific research
At the Open University in Finnish or in English
Description of prerequisites
- Porter, M.E. (1980). Competitive Strategy: Techniques for analyzing industries and competitors. Any edition or language version.
- Grant, R. (2013). Contemporary Strategy Analysis. 8th ed. (e-book), or a physical copy of the same.; ISBN: 9781118591086