XSU0007 Finnish for Foreigners 3 (6 cr)
The aim of the course is for the language user to achieve independence in his/her studies and in working life. The course helps the students to develop strategies to pick out information from normal-pace conversation, to pick up on structures and conventions in texts, and to understand simple newspaper and magazine articles, as well as to improve the students’ familiarity with Finnish society and culture.
The course’s 70 contact hours are used to teach Finnish with the help of various tasks/exercises, which are done in groups, pairs, and independently. Some project work is also done on the course. Different language skill areas will be practiced on the course: speaking, listening and reading comprehension, and writing. Grammar and vocabulary studies are integrated with the work on these skills. The exercises and texts used on the course are grounded in real-life situations. In addition to the class exercises, homework assignments are an important part of the course.
Completion of the course requires active participation and attendance as well as returning the given tasks/exercises within the agreed schedule. At the end of the course, there will be an exam (skill-areas: speaking, listening comprehension, reading comprehension, writing, and structures and vocabulary. The grade that the students receive is based on both the coursework and the end of course exam.
- know how to act fluently in informal interaction situations related to their own life and studies
- understand essential information in texts and speech related to a familiar as well as a more unfamiliar topic
- be able to describe their own sphere of life rather clearly and consistently as well as to write semi-official messages and share acquired information
- be able to present and justify their opinions on a familiar topic orally and in writing
- know how to actively utilise their own language usage and learning strategies as well as the possibilities offered by the environment to use Finnish in different situations
STATUS: Basic course
TARGET GROUP: Students who have completed Suomi 2
Description of prerequisites
PROFICIENCY LEVEL: A2